We’re all very keen here at The Disability Resource Centre to think of ways to become more energy efficient. That’s why we are giving our readers the opportunity to win a slower cooker! A slow cooker is a kitchen appliance that uses gentle heat to cook liquid-based meals.
Scroll down this page for full details of how you can win this super-energy-saving Russell Hobbs slow cooker. You can buy one at Amazon or your local retailer, or you can win one in our free to enter recipe competition.
A slow cooker is perfect for creating cosy winter dinners that are full of flavour
Using a slow cooker in the kitchen will save you lots on your energy bills, compared to using an oven or cooking on the hob.
The benefits of using a slow cooker
- Using a slow cooker will save you money, in comparison to using a conventional oven or an electric hob. OVO energy says that cooking in a slow cooker for 8 hours a day will cost about £14 a year compared to cooking on an electric cooker for 30 minutes a day which costs about £90 per year
- U Switch says that slow cookers use a little more energy than a traditional light bulb
- Using the appliance means it’s easy to create delicious and healthy meals by incorporating lots of healthy and nutritious vegetables into a wide variety of dinners
- It’s a lower fat method of cooking – you don’t need to add oil to a slow cooker
- There’s less chance of burning food – because there is a large amount of liquid and the temperature is low, the likelihood of food burning is greatly reduced
- Less washing up – there is no need to use multiple pots and pans as all the ingredients can normally be placed into the slow cooker at the same time
- Time friendly – there is no need to watch the slow cooker whilst the food is cooking, food can be left for hours without stirring so you are able to get on with other things
- A great appliance to make cheaper cuts of meat taste delicious – the slow cooker extracts the flavour and tenderises tougher cuts of meat
- You can use a slow cooker to make both sweet and savoury dishes
Save money, save time and save washing-up!
We’ve been busy finding some tasty recipe ideas, take a look at the links below and let us know what you think!
Enter our competition to win a slow cooker
Our judge will choose the top 10 recipes and then we’ll put it to the vote so our website visitors can choose their favourites. However, we do follow the rules of Strictly Come Dancing, so the judges decision will be final!
Closing date for entries is Friday 10th December 2021 at midnight!