Disability benefits you can apply for as a disabled person

(Updated 17 October 2022)

If you’re disabled, you may be eligible for government benefits that can help with your cost of living. There are a variety of disability benefits available in the UK, but you will have to meet eligibility requirements in order to benefit from them. Here’s what you need to know:

  • You must be disabled
  • You must be over 18 years old
  • You must be a UK citizen or have indefinite leave to remain in the UK (permanent residence)

We can help you to fill in benefit claim forms

Our support team is here and can support you to apply for disability benefits. We have specialist benefits advisors who can assist with a range of queries and help you to fill in benefits’ forms.

Open Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm.

Phone: 01582 470 900

Email: info@drcbeds.org.uk

Carers Support group

List of the main disability benefits available

Here are some of the main disability benefits available in the UK:

Disabled Students Allowances

Disabled Students Allowances (DSAs) are a form of financial support available to students who have a long-term mental or physical impairment. If you’re disabled and studying in the UK, you may be eligible for DSAs. The amount you receive depends on your individual circumstances, but it can be up to £3,465 per year. You can apply online through the Student Finance England website.

Motability scheme

If you are disabled and need help with mobility, you may be eligible for the Motability scheme. This is a scheme that provides cars, scooters or powered wheelchairs to disabled people in the UK.

To qualify, you must be aged at least 16 years old. If you are aged 18 years or over, then you will qualify for the car or scooter options of this scheme; if your disability has resulted from an accident at work (or a war injury), then any age can apply for either option of this scheme; however if your disability has not resulted from an accident at work (or a war injury) then only those who are aged 16 years or older can apply for either vehicle option of this scheme.

Blue Badge scheme

The Blue Badge scheme is a scheme that allows people with a disability to park closer to their destination. The blue badge is displayed on the vehicle and helps parking enforcement officers to identify which vehicles are eligible for the scheme. 

The Disability Resource Centre can help you when applying for a blue badge, please call 01582 470900 or contact us by email for an appointment.

The badge can be used in any vehicle driven by or carrying the disabled person, but not motorcycles or scooters. You can apply for an enhanced Blue Badge if you cannot walk 200 metres without very considerable difficulty:

  • A wheelchair user or someone who has a severe walking impairment or who uses crutches all the time may apply
  • Someone with a visual impairment who finds it difficult to walk 50 metres without support (the distance between two parked cars)
  • A deaf driver (using hearing aid)

Attendance Allowance

Attendance Allowance is a non-means tested benefit paid to people who are over state pension age and receiving other benefits like PIP or Adult Disability Payment. It’s designed to help people with disabilities get out and about, by covering some of the costs that they may face when travelling to certain places such as friends’ houses, health appointments, or shopping trips.

The amount you receive depends on your age, whether you’re in residential care, whether you have a carer who helps you with personal care activities (such as washing), how much help someone needs doing daily living tasks, like cooking meals or cleaning your home – and how far away these things are from where you live.

Personal Independence Payment

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a benefit for people who need help with the extra costs caused by long-term ill health or a disability. You can get PIP if you are aged 16 to state pension age and have a health condition or disability that affects the way you work, or your ability to look after yourself or get around.

Employment Support Allowance

Employment Support Allowance (ESA) is a benefit paid to people who are disabled and unable to work. It is designed to help with the extra costs of being disabled, and is paid through the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). You can apply online via the DWP website if you live in England, Scotland or Wales; in Northern Ireland contact the Universal Credit team. The amount you get depends on your circumstances.

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit

If you have an industrial injury and you meet these conditions, below, you may be eligible for Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit:

  • You were employed for at least 26 weeks before your injury, or
  • You’re unemployed because of your condition

The benefit is payable if you’re over 18 years old, not in full-time education and not working (including self-employment).

Carer’s Allowance

Carer’s Allowance is a benefit for people who look after someone who is disabled. If you think you may be eligible, you’ll need to have been providing care for at least 35 hours a week and be aged 16 or over. You must also be caring for someone who gets one of the following benefits:

  • Attendance Allowance
  • Constant Attendance Allowance (Contributory)
  • Disability Living Allowance (the middle or highest rate for personal care)
  • The enhanced rate of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) from 8 April 2019

Disabled Students’ Allowance

Financing university life is already difficult for anyone – but it is far more complicated to navigate it with a disability. Thankfully, support is becoming more accessible, thanks to schemes such as the Disabled Students’ Allowance. To help people understand more about this financing scheme, Compare the Market created a comprehensive guide.

Written for disabled students and their guardians, this in-depth guide to Disabled Students’ Allowance from Comparethemarket covers:

  • An overview of what the DSA is, what it covers, and how it is different from tuition fee assistance and maintenance loans
  • Eligibility for the DSA, including the broad range of conditions in the Equality Act of 2010
  • Step-by-step instructions on applying for the DSA, along with a guide to getting the requirements accomplished
  • A list of other support a disabled student can get while studying

Some interesting information covered in the guide includes:

  • The DSA is not exclusive to England – it is also available in Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland.
  • Among the conditions covered by the DSA are mental health conditions, physical and sensory disabilities, autism, and learning disabilities like ADHD.
  • Students qualified for the DSA will not have to pay back any money received once their program of study is over, except if they leave their course early.


We hope you have found this article helpful in learning more about the different kinds of disability benefits available to you. As we outlined earlier, there are many different types of benefits out there, and it can be difficult to find which ones are right for your situation. 

We are here for you

Our support team is here and can support you to apply for disability benefits. We have specialist benefits advisors who can assist with a range of queries and help you to fill in benefits’ forms.

Open Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm.

Phone: 01582 470 900

Email: info@drcbeds.org.uk

WhatsApp and text: 07826366477

Talk to us via Facebook Messenger

Instant help

Simply click the pink ‘Chat with us’ button below, open 10am to 4pm, Monday to Friday.

We can help you with many questions straight away.

Help us improve this website

We are inviting our website visitors to contribute their own experiences and suggestions on a wide range of topics to help support disabled people and people with long term health conditions. So please email us with your ideas and suggestions for improving our website. Thanks very much.

Share this page

We are here for you…

Phone: 01582 470 900

Email: info@drcbeds.org.uk

Sign up for our fabulous free newsletter

– All the latest news and updates from our charity team

– Events and things to do for free, plus competitions around Luton, Bedfordshire and Milton Keynes

Easy to follow guides and useful information, plus plenty of money saving tips

– Stories and articles from our community of disabled people, carers and our partner organisations

– Handy information from local community groups and free services you might not know about

Smiling people at a workshop event and The Disability Resource Centre and University of Bedfordshire logos

Join our free Employer Academy event on 26th June

Join us for an exciting collaboration between The Disability Resource Centre and University of Bedfordshire Employer Academy. At this free event you’ll learn how to foster a Disability Confident workplace, plus gain insights on effectively supporting employees who are carers and you’ll also discover strategies to leverage government-funded apprenticeships to benefit your business.

Read More »
Mobility shop graphic., group of people smiling

We’ve relaunched our retail shop

We are thrilled to announce that we have relaunched our retail shop. Our new shop is based at our Mayfield Centre in Dunstable, where you can pop in and shop a variety of disability equipment and mobility aids.

Read More »
Carers Week graphic

Join us on 11th June for Carers Week 2024

We are delighted to once again be celebrating Carers Week 2024. Our Carers Central team will be in The Mall on the 11th June outside TK maxx to give support and information to unpaid carers in Luton. Please do come along and see Levi and Sally for advice, support or a friendly chat.

Read More »

Your open door to advice in Central Bedfordshire

AdviceCentral helps residents of Central Bedfordshire to find the best local and national advice on a wide range of topics including:




Immigration, Employment

Legal & more

Help for carers in Luton

We offer lots of free 1-2-1 help and advice by phone, email and online meetups.

Please donate to our charity

Please consider donating to The Disability Resource Centre today so we can continue our vital services.

Skip to content